If you want to learn how to run easy and use that to perform better as you age, then you should listen to this episode.
If heart rate training confuses or frustrates you, this is the episode to clear it all up! No seriously… Mike Trees is one of the most positive, knowledgeable and generous endurance athletes I’ve ever met.
He has the skill that to make super complex things like heart rate, extremely easy to understand. Not to mention he’s almost 60 and runs faster than most 20 year olds!
What You Will Learn
- Answer the question of what is too easy and too hard running
- Is it possible to build aerobic and anaerobic fitness at the same?
- What His Individual HR/IMAT Heart rate formula is and why it might make more sense than others in the real world
- One thing that can keep you committed and focused to help you perform your best at almost 60 years old!
- Why all coaches are right… and wrong!
- Why starting with your endpoint objective is the most holistic and effective way to come up with realistic training plans
- And Much More
About Mike Trees
- True Generalist/Master of some/Jack of all trades; British Ironman Record holder in 1994, British Universities 1500 metre champion in 1983, multi-national champion in England and Japan, Sports Scientist Lecturer, Pro triathlon coach based Tokyo. Coach of Tim Don
- He’s originally from the Northeast of England, grew up in Libya Africa but now lives in Japan
- He gives away all his information online (Instagram @RunNRG ) and thinks coaching is on part science, one part voodoo magic and the middle is where the coach/athlete relationship sits
- He is the co-founder of the coaching collective – Triathlon NRG
- He cleverly figured out a glitch in the Asian pacific ocean triathlon pro circuit by finding races that the faster guys didn’t go to but had prize money so he could sustain a career
- Mike Trees Coaching https://linktr.ee/Run.nrg
- Mike Trees Instagram https://www.instagram.com/run.nrg
- Mike Trees Best Times – https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=4851
- Triathlon N R G $5 Training Plans – https://www.nrg-coaching.com/shop
- IMAT Heart Rate https://z-p42.www.instagram.com/p/CHLyqYtD59C/
- Maffetone 180 Formula https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/
- Running energy systems explained https://runnersconnect.net/energy-systems-running/
- Blog Post Article – Why I stopped training with heart rate https://dlakecreates.com/why-i-stopped-training-with-heart-rate/
- Suggested episode to listen to next: Why I stopped training with heart rate – https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/why-daren-stopped-training-heart-rate-dlake-deliberation/id1420395891?i=1000432763923
- Podcast Concept, Production and Marketing BY POD PASTE
- “An easy run is a run you enjoy. If you can chat and do Mental arithmetic – It’s easy. That’s it.”
- “The biggest issue with new runners is, a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. You need to know what your goal is and how to do it.”
- “Every day I wake up I want to run. I just want to work on improving something.”
- “You might not add years to your life, but you can add life to your years.”
- “As I got older, I kept asking myself “How can I stop slowing down, the slowing down”
Original Music Used Here
Check Out – Three Thing Thursday
Want to train and live consistently to do dope shit with your health and fitness? Sign up for our newsletter “Three Thing Thursday”. We’ll put three perfectly created and curated things in your inbox. This will be regular motivating tips/tricks/tools/tactics to help you become a better human.
Sign up now to receive my quick guide on how to get healthy, stay fit and use data to create habits that las lifetime!
Check Out – DLake Coaching
This episode is brought to you by DLake Coaching. Whether you’re 16 or 60, we are all ageing. Setting goals, forming habits, and organising your life isn’t easy. Let us help you because you haven’t reached your peak, yet!